eduroam Cardiff Uni and Fedora
This is a rough blog post to help me remember what happened when I first connected to Cardiff’s eduroam network. The tool was a pain, and didn’t support Fedora. After failing to manually install the certificates I gave in and ran it, which presented even more problems.
The tool is from Aruba (now HP) and seems to be part of ClearPass Solution.
The follow the normal steps
- Connect to ‘CU-Wireless’
- Head to https://onboard.cardiff.ac.uk
- Choose ‘Ubuntu (32/64bit)’
- This results in a shell script that runs a Qt application.
- It should work on most Linux distros that use NetworkManager
- X11 - it won’t work in wayland
- Polkit authentication agent running - e.g. lxpolkit More Information
- Extracts certificates included in the same download.
- Moves certificates to
- Created a new network profile at
- If can see the eduroam network connection and try to connect but it seems like nothing happens, even with a password (one auto generated).
- You may need to allow NetworkManager access to
31 Aug 2023